Cardamom Buns – Exotic Breakfast Rolls From India
Sometimes the simplest recipes are also the tastiest. These rolls, flavored with cardamom, are soft and fluffy. Perfect for a breakfast roll or brunch. The addition of the cardamom makes them a little exotic and gives a gentle reminder of their Indian origin. Spread some butter on them, or, if you’re feeling a little adventurous, serve them with grilled veggies or meat, topped with a sharp mango chutney.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1/4 cup (60 ml) warm water
1/2 Tbs. (about 7 g) active dry yeast
1 tsp (5 g) sugar
2 3/4 cup (about 385 g) all purpose flour
1/4 cup (60 g) butter or margarine at room temperature
1 tsp (5 g) salt
1 tsp (5 g) ground cardamom
1 egg, beaten
1/3 to 1/2 cup (45 to 60 ml) milk or substitute
1 egg white, beaten for glaze
1 Tbs (15 g) sugar
1 Tbs (15 g) ground almonds
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
1. Combine the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl to dissolve. 롤대리 Let them sit about 5 minutes until nice and bubbly.
2. In a food processor, mix the flour, butter or margarine, salt and cardamom, using the steel blade, for about 10 seconds.
3. Now add the yeast mixture and the egg and process for an additional 10 seconds.
4. Leave the motor running, and, through the feed slowly add the milk (or substitute) in a slow but steady stream until a soft dough forms a ball and that cleans the sides of the bowl. Let the dough ball revolve in the bowl about 25 times.
5. Let the dough rest for a few minutes.
6. Turn the motor on again, and add enough of the milk (or substitute) slowly until the dough becomes smooth and satiny. Not sticky.
7. Place the finished dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to coat, and let it rise, covered, for about 45 minutes or until roughly doubled.
8. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces, shape each piece into a perfect sphere by rolling them on an unfloured smooth surface with your hand applying only a little pressure. Place the shaped balls on a greased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper) and let them rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
9. Heat the oven to 375 F (190 C). Paint each roll with the egg white wash. If serving for breakfast or brunch, you can mix together the sugar and ground almonds and sprinkle over the rolls. Omit if serving with grilled meat and/or veggies.